Friday, June 25, 2010

The New Enemy I Must Vanquish...

I know, I know, sounds a bit dramatic, right? So maybe it isn't the end of the world, but I've taken up arms against High Fructose Corn Syrup. Yes, I know those commercials with the people shaming the dissenters into drinking the disgusting syrupy fruit drink are cute, but they're also misleading. So, I'll give you all the facts. At least, I'll give you the links I feel like pasting. You can read through yourself. The bottom line seems to be: HFCS causes more weight gain than sugar, and besides-- you don't NEED HFCS in all the stuff that the processed food companies are putting it in. The best course of action seems to be to avoid processed foods altogether, but if you need to shop that center section of the grocery store, try to avoid products that contain it. I'll periodically post things that I discover have HFCS in it, and attempt to keep a running list.


Now the information:

[The HFCS mascot site]

[Wiki article on HFCS]

[Mayo Clinic on HFCS]

[Science Daily on HFCS]

Now for the list:

Yoplait Yogurt (The kind I got was Thick & Creamy Light Strawberry)-- the SECOND ingredient is HFCS.

Ritz Crackerfuls-- How utterly ridiculous is it that they feel the need to put sweetened corn syrup in a cracker and cheese snack?

Subway's 9 grain wheat bread-- now this is just depressing. Even my healthy fast food standby uses the stuff (plus, I understand that that brown "wheat" color to the bread is just a fake additive, not at all real wheat.)

More when I (stupidly) purchase more products before reading the nutritional labels!

No comments:

Post a Comment