Thursday, October 1, 2009

Apologies all Around

Sorry it's been so long since I've posted. I'll forego the excuses since I don't really have any.


Here's my update-- it's a quick one, and just recipes. no pictures, sorry. Maybe I'll add some later! Publish Post

Sinless Pumpkin Mousse

**a warning: this tastes a little bit like raw pumpkin pie. that can be off-putting to people who, well, don't like raw things. I found it delicious, but my husband wasn't as big of a fan. just a heads-up.

1-2 packages (small) of jello instant fat free sugar free vanilla pudding mix. I used one, but two will make it thicker and impart a more vanilla-y flavor.

2 cups of skim milk

1 15-oz can of pumpkin. just pumpkin, not the pie filling

1 8-oz container of cool whip free. (You can use light, too-- it adds about 5 calories per 2 tbsp of cool whop.)

1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice (It doesn't sound like much, but it goes a long way. if you find it lacking in flavor, by all means, add more)

Steps:

1) mix the jello and milk as per packet instructions. put in in the fridge for 3-5 minutes.
2) Add everything else. You might want the cool whip to be thawed or you'll have frozen chunks of cool whip in there.
3) enjoy!

Here's the breakdown:
Per 4-oz (by weight) serving: 67.2 calories, .4 grams of fat, 65.6 grams sodium, 12.8 g carbohydrates, 0 grams sugar, 1.6 grams fiber, 2.4 grams protein.

**Note: This is using only one box of the vanilla pudding. although using two boxes won't be that much worse, since it is after all fat free sugar free.

Texas King Ranch Casserole, Improved

12 oz (pre-cooked weight) boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked and shredded or cubed.
1 can 98% fat free or healthy request cream of mushroom soup
1 cup Kraft 2% sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 can Ro-Tel Tomatoes (I am going to re-try this dish using fresh tomatoes and jalepenos. I'll let you know)
6 Corn tortillas
1 small bell pepper (about .25 cups)
half of a small yellow onion, finely chopped (note: I didn't use it here because hubby doesn't like onion)

Steps:
1) Soften onion and green pepper in 1 t vegetable oil
2) Add to this chicken, soup, and Ro-Tel
3) Layer in small casserole dish tortillas, soup mixture, and cheese, ending with cheese.
4) Bake at 325 until hot and bubbly (Took me about 20 minutes)

The Breakdown: four servings, each of which has 323.5 calories, 10 grams of fat, 73.1 mg of cholesterol, 980 mg of sodium (yikes-- use healthy request if you're worried about this), 27.4 g of carbohydrates, 3.8 grams of fiber, and 29.6 grams of protein.

The content of the original King Ranch Casserole: 432 calories, 21.8 grams of fat, 11.2 grams saturated fat, 97.3 mg cholesterol, 1,110.5 mg sodium 27.9 g. carbohydrates, 3.5 grams fiber, 2.7 grams of sugar, 30.8 grams protein

What I have cut out is mostly fat and calories from fat. the original recipe called for a 1/4 cup of butter, and, of course, full fat ingredients. I find that the improved version tastes pretty good. I'm worried about the sodium, but making cream of mushroom soup on my own with less salt seems... well, honestly, way too much work! and the healthy request version... I just don't care for.

Hope you enjoy the recipes!

1 comment:

  1. If you want to cut out some of the sodium in the casserole, definitely switch to frozen or fresh tomatoes and jalapenos. Canned veggies are loaded with sodium. I don't know if you used pre-cooked chicken, but usually store-bought cooked chicken has a lot of sodium in it as well.
    I think there's a low-sodium cream of mushroom out there, but it was too high in fat/calories for me to use. The 98% one tends to be better for you as compared to Healthy Request, too.

    ReplyDelete