Monday, January 17, 2011

Julia Child Dinner Results

First Julia Child dinner was, overall, a success. Let me remind you again of the menu

Cheese Wafers topped with a cheese filling (that was supposed to be Swiss or Gruyere, but I used cheddar)

Potato and Leek Soup

Chicken Supremes (Chicken Breasts) with a paprika and onion cream sauce

Asiago cheese bread (that I did not make myself but instead purchased)

Potato casserole with a cream and cheese sauce

Chocolate Mousse topped with homemade whipped cream

I ended up not making the asparagus with orange hollandaise sauce because I was frankly too lazy.

A few things I would do differently: Bake a test batch of the cheese wafers to see if they need flour. They sort of spread all over the pan and basically made this gigantic greasy cheese cracker. Which was good, but way too rich. With the judicious application of extra flour, I think they would have been more wafer-like and less…grease pile like.

Everything else was absolutely delicious. I can’t even say “particularly the…” because there is no particularly. Everything was yummy. Thanks, Julia! Your recipes are delicious.

In other news, it is hard to tell what progress I am making on the diet. On the one hand, my weight seems to be about the same. On the other, it appears that I have lost a few inches (altogether, not in one particular area.) We are going to give it another week and see where we are at that point.

I feel like we are doing quite well and sort of getting into the swing of things. A shopping trip involving the purchase of copious amounts of turkey lunchmeat helped. It’s easy to just grab a hunk and gnaw on it whenever I’m feeling hungry.

We also found and stocked up on a multitude of sugar free, low carb candies, which I think goes against the purpose of this diet, as it’s supposed to be more natural, etc…but sometimes a girl just wants some chocolate, you know?

Also out the window is the attempt to limit artificially sweetened beverages. If it’s a choice between me drinking enough liquids but having them artificially sweetened, and my drive to drink water cut short before noon because the flavor of water is…well… boring…then I choose to drink crystal lite, crystal lite, and more crystal lite. With some diet coke thrown in there for flavor.

We are trying to exercise more—because no matter what diet you’re on, exercise is important. At the moment, I am concentrating on doing light exercises every hour for five minutes while at work. This involves walking in place, lunges, squats, and stretches. I hope eventually to get some light weights and maybe a resistance band.

I could call them “Flash” exercises, make a workout dvd of my flabby self, and make millions! That… would probably not work as well as one would hope.

Next Week is Julia Child Dinner Number 2. At the moment I am planning the following (And this is clearly not a complete menu)

Roast Lamb (I am hoping rack of lamb, but it would depend upon what the store has)

Garlic mashed potatoes

Yum! Sounds good so far, Julia!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sad that I ate all of the potato and leek soup you sent home. It was sooo good.

    ReplyDelete